Friday, November 28, 2008

On Indigestion


My wife told me a couple days ago about a recent episode of Oprah that showcased parts of the world where people lived longer and what their secrets were. She said that the people of Okinawa, Japan, have a proverb that they say before they start a meal that roughly translates to "eat only until you are eighty percent full."

To that, we Americans say "rub-a-dub-dub, thanks for the grub!" We then promptly eat ourselves 180% full, then drift off into restless sleep and feel nasty and bloated the entire next day. If only we Americans had the willpower for limiting our food intake.

They say that caloric restriction is the only surefire way to greater longevity. But what's the fun in that. If I have to choose between Cheesecake and living to a hundred years old, I'll take the Cheesecake. Maybe the the heartburn I have from yesterday will be counter-acted by the heartburn I'll give myself eating leftovers today.

Hello decadence!

No comments: